Monday, March 24, 2008

EATING HIGH ON THE HOG PLAYED HAVOC WITH MY GUT

By OLIVENE GODFREY

First, I've been taking iron pills for my anemia and I have more energy than I have had in a long time. But, the iron has also given me a hearty appetite, to put it mildly, and I want to eat all food in my sight.

About a week ago, son Barry and I ate lunch at Western Sizzlin's buffet in Dalton, GA. The food was especially delicious and we both had a "food binge". Barry inherited his late dad's "cast iron stomach" and he was already hungry again at supper time. I was having gut problems and didn't think I would ever be hungry again. I was determined not to over-eat again. ( I haven't gained any weight which is remarkable.)

A few days before Good Friday, Barry asked if I would like to eat lunch at Edna's Restaurant on the holiday. Edna's is a popular Chatsworth,GA restaurant which serves superb Southern cooked food. Edna's is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and we have dined there for over 40 years. Since the restaurant closes on Sunday, we don't eat there as often as we would like to though. If you're lucky, your waitress will be 82-year-old, Bessie,. Not only is Bessie an excellent server, her friendly, down home conversation is a delight. So, I told Barry I would love to eat lunch at Edna's on Good Friday.

I thought of the meal until Good Friday arrived and we ate an early lunch at Edna's. When we entered the restaurant, the manager greeted us and commented on how long it had been since we had eaten there. As soon as we were seated, a waitress, not Bessie but who was an excellent server, brought us menus, which never change, thank goodness. The food was delectable
and again, my taste buds savored the food and I wanted to eat every bite on my plate, especially the candied yams which were the best I have ever eaten. Barry who inherited his dad's appetite , too, ate every morsel of food on his plate. I stopped eating before my plate was empty by mustering up all my will power. I might have escaped another bad gut problem if I hadn't stupidly eaten part of a Subway sandwich that Barry brought in that night. And, again I started having gut problems and I have eaten lightly since then and feel better. But, I won't promise not to eat too much again as long as I am taking the iron pills.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home