Sunday, July 06, 2008

BEING EXCITED ABOUT NEW MATTRESS FOR MY BED

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I never thought I could get excited about a new mattress for my bed but it has happened. I spoke to son Barry about my excitement and he said, "There comes a time in life when a good night's sleep is cause for excitement." And, I guess that explains it for me.

This came about after I received my U.S. "stimulus" check in the mail. Our government wants us to spend the money. I thought of several things I needed to spend the money on but my insomnia and an old mattress zoomed to the top of the list. Barry had Thursday and Friday off of work for the July 4th holiday and he drove through horrendous traffic to take me to a mattress outlet store in nearby Dalton on Thursday. The showroom was filled with good-looking mattresses for all bed sizes. I needed a full size mattress and matching box springs. After testing some of the mattresses, I chose a Serta which is not too soft or firm. I could have had it delivered on the 4th but I wanted a low foundation and it will be delivered in a few days.

The salesman and printed info explained that mattresses today are six to eighteen inches thicker and have generous amounts of luxurious padding. They say that after sleeping on your new mattress, you'll notice an indentation where your body slept. This is called a "body impression" and aren't defects but it means that your mattress is doing what it was designed to do. If you haven't bought a mattress in a number of years, you may be surprised at the cost of them now. But, the mattresses at the outlet store were all on sale at half-price. And, with my stimulus check, the total price for my mattresses was reasonable. I am eagerly looking forward to sleeping on the new mattress and will report later how I like it.

While Barry and I were in Dalton, we went to the mall and ate an early lunch at the Chick-Fil-A and went to MasterCuts and got quick haircuts. It was a very hot July day and while I was in air-conditioning most of the time, I felt too warm the rest of the day. (Maybe it was the excitement.)

Our July 4th holiday was a quiet day at home and for supper Barry grilled hamburgers and the trimmings. We thought of the celebrations we had in the past when we hosted a family cookout and birthday party for my late mother on her birthday.
I've told you before that my late husband's brother, Ray, and his wife,Joyce, gave us a check to buy a plant for our yard in memory of Mother. We chose a crape myrtle plant and it blooms either on the 4th of July or around then which makes the crape myrtle even more special.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home