Sunday, June 22, 2008

GOOD NEIGHBOR IS A TREASURE & DOCTOR REPORT & LUNCH AT EDNA'S

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I've written often about the many kindnesses that my friend and neighbor, Genevelyn, has shown me and also son Barry and my late husband, Ralph, over the years. She brought us a bag of produce fresh from her garden this weekend, including new potatoes, one of my favorite foods. After she had brought us another bag of green beans last week, I told her that Barry likes them cooked Southern style with a slab of salt pork and cooked 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. She said she liked them that way, too, but because of her cholesterol, she stir fries her green beans.

Barry and I wanted to do something for Genevelyn and last week, we decided on a small token of our appreciation to her. I made a picture of her old homeplace where her daddy was reared a number of years ago. At that time, the old house was vacant and no longer stands. I liked the picture so well as I am fascinated by old houses that I had it enlarged and it hangs on my office wall now. The first time Genevelyn visited me, she saw the picture and exclaimed, " That's my old house!"
So, a week or so ago Barry printed a copy of the enlarged picture and I gave it to her yesterday and she said she said she would treasure it. And, Barry and I treasure her friendship.

Last Friday, Barry had the day off from work and he drove us to our family doctor's office for my three month checkup. I discussed a few routine problems and then she examined a seborrheic keratosis (benign area of thickened, flaky skin) on my right shoulder which she had done a biopsy on a few months ago. She said if it bothered me, it could easily be removed but I decided not to have it done now. I don't need to return to her office for three months and I hope I can remain healthy that long.

Barry and I left the doctor's office about lunch hour and decided to treat ourselves to a meal at Edna's. a popular northwest Georgia restaurant. As usual, the food was superb. I ordered chicken and cornbread dressing, macaroni and cheese and their delicious candied yams. Our meal was served with Edna's
delectable cornbread muffins. Needless to say, we ate a very light supper that night.

I seem to have written a food column today. But, when you are 80-years-old, good food is one of the few pleasures left to enjoy.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home