Monday, June 16, 2008

HISTORIC RENOVATED DOWNTOWN DALTON,GEORGIA EVOKES NOSTALGIC MEMORIES

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Last Sunday, here in northwest Georgia, the weather was perfect for an outing with plenty of sunshine, blue skies and a balmy breeze. Son Barry had promised to take me on a tour of my old "stomping grounds", historic downtown Dalton, Georgia, which has been renovated with some work still in progress to the old town's buildings.

Barry and a friend had driven to the main street of the old downtown in search of a blues club which they located last Saturday. Barry said the downtown had been bustling with people walking on the sidewalks and traffic on the street. The downtown street has trees planted on the sides and center of it which I like. Well, hey, I'm a tree-hugger, remember?

Some of the downtown stores that I remember are still in business and new shops with engaging names have located in the old buildings along with banks and offices. When we drove down the old street, there were a lot of people moving around on the sidewalks. I had heard some criticism of the amount of money the City spent on the downtown project. I'm not an expert on that but I did like what I saw and look forward to browsing around in the shops one day soon. I had told Barry often about many people strolling down the street in the 1940s and 1950s after seeing a night movie. But, I don't think I would do that now as it isn't safe anymore even in a small town.

My neighbor and friend, Genevelyn, brought us a bag of green beans fresh from her garden last week. I cooked a big "mess" of the green beans along with grilled chicken breasts, steamed corn, and cornbread muffins and Barry ate until he was about to pop, he said. (He ate three large portions of green beans.)

Years ago, I bought a good quality magnifying glass for viewing small print. Now that I'm an old lady, I keep the glass on the work island and use it often. And, Barry hates to admit it but he uses the magnifying glass about as often as I do. My prescription reading glasses and frames were expensive and I don't like to carry them in my handbag when I go out. And, often, I carry the magnifying glass with me if I'm going shopping and it comes in handy.

My sister,Jeanette, called last Saturday and we had a good chat, catching up on family news. Jeanette spoke of Barry's recent bout with poison ivy and recalled when she got poison ivy in her eyes and had to see her doctor. Barry sprayed our poison ivy plants with some stuff he bought at a hardware store and he says the plants seem to be dead --until next year.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home