Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ON EATING LIKE A STARVING STEVEDORE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

We were busy the long Memorial holiday. Son Barry did a lot of yardwork and household chores. He did take time out on Saturday to have lunch with a friend in Dalton and then they hung out at Lowe's and Home Depot awhile which Barry says is "a guy thing". Then, on Sunday, Barry drove us to Dalton for an early lunch of fish and chips at Shoney's. I had baked potato with sour cream and Barry had fries with his fish dinner. We ate salads and then we ate the cod fish boneless fillets that had been coated with seasoned cornmeal and were delectable.
I topped the meal off with a serving of strawberry shortcake for dessert. I knew I had really gone off my diet but the food was SO delicious, I didn't regret eating like a starving stevodore. Barry commented as we left the restaurant that I had "really put it way." Not to worry! I won't eat any taboo foods for awhile.

Then, we went to the mall and Barry pushed me in my wheelchair to the MasterCuts salon where we both got good haircuts.
I had my summer hair-cut which I call a "low maintenance
hair style" as it only takes a few minutes to shampoo and dry and after brushing, you can forget it.

One recent morning, I was eating breakfast at the wooden work island in the kitchen. I reached for a jar of apricot preserves which I wanted to put on toast. The lid made a clicking sound as I removed it and then it disappeared! I looked all over the kitchen floor for the jar lid to no avail. Barry entered the kitchen and I asked him to search for the lid which he did but couldn't find it. He suddenly asked, " Have you looked in your housecoat pocket?" I put my hand in my pocket and felt the metal lid. And Barry asked, “Why do these things happen to you?” I thought of the time I attended a night meeting and a bug flew into my ear. I could feel it moving around and I was miserable until it came out of the ear. And then, there was the dinner I attended and a tiny cornbread morsel flew up into one of my eyes, making me feel blinded. And so it goes....

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home