Monday, August 25, 2008

REMEMBERING DADDY'S MODEL A FORD & HIS FUN-LOVING MOM & MORE
By OLIVENE GODFREY
Son Barry and I were discussing early cars and I remembered my Daddy's Model A Ford. I was very young and the memory is only a flash. A more vivid memory is when Daddy took Mother and the twins and me for a ride in the car. He must have had a windfall as we all wore new outfits. Mine was a short white flannel pleated skirt and white sweater. Then, I remember that Daddy's parents lived on their large farm in Middle Tennessee
and shortly after he bought the car, he drove us from our Chattanooga home to the farm. When we arrived, his parents and two spinster sisters greeted us warmly and then they inspected the car. Daddy asked if his fun loving little mother would like to go for a ride and she accepted his invitation.
I don't remember who else went along but I went with them. When we were settled in the car, Daddy started the car and in a few minutes Grandma called out loudly, "Let 'er rip!" and we roared away from the farm.

I have many happy memories of my little Grandma. Sometimes she would take we kids to the big barn and we would go up in the loft and tumble in the hay. Later, when I was about ten,I would often pretend I was a news reporter and would interview Grandma in the porch swing. She would give me comical answers and we would collapse with laughter. But, I digress.

But, back to the discussion I was having with Barry. He said I had lived through the time when cars and radio were in their infancy. I was also around for the beginning of radio, television, computers, and the Internet and cell phones.
I agreed and told him that my parents married in 1926 and Mother's brother, Alvin, rented a radio that was played at the reception. And I remember when we would gather around the radio at night to listen to favorite programs. Mother listened to her"soaps" during the day and Daddy liked to tune in to the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday nights. Then, my late husband, Ralph, and I bought our first television and became popular with friends stopping by to watch the TV.

Barry has had computers and TV sets for years and we all take cell phones for granted. I'm glad to be alive during this exciting time of technology.

-------------------------------------

My trusty quad cane has saved me from a bad fall again. Now, I 'm a creature of habit and dislike having my routines messed up. But, I awoke that morning and realized I had overslept.
Since I'm retired I can get up in the mornings when I please. But I like to get up the same time each morning. On this day, I jumped out of bed like a youngster instead of rising slowly as I usually do. I dashed around and was soon in the kitchen and Barry was about to leave to go to work. I was talking to him when I suddenly lost my balance and went staggering across the room. I kept my cane tightly in my hand as I careened into the dining room and grabbed the back of a chair which finally halted my "almost fall." As you can imagine, I was shaken and said a thank you to God.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home