Monday, July 28, 2008

SCARY FAINTING EPISODE

OLIVENE GODFREY

I wrote last week of my colon distress after eating rye bread. And then last Wednesday morning,I had a scary fainting episode while preparing my breakfast. Son Barry was about to leave for work when I felt faint. Suddenly, I knew I was about to faint and I called out to Barry and then fainted. He was able to catch me as I fainted and kept me from falling onto the floor. After I was revived, Barry fixed me a bowl of oatmeal. Then, after taking it easy for awhile,I was all right but shaken.

That night I had a panic attack as I thought of what could have happened to me if I had been alone when I fainted. My heart started racing and I tried deep breathing , or belly breathing, for about five minutes until I was calmed down enough to sleep.

The next day, I started having abdominal pain, gas, bloat and diarrhea. Barry did some research on the Internet and printed out several pages on wheat allergies and gluten. My family doctor and GI doctor have told me in the past that one of these might be causing my distress. The info said if you think you might have wheat or gluten you can get proof by doing the Detection Diet. The treatment is simple, a gluten free diet and some people who have suffered from years improve dramatically within two weeks.

Barry pointed out that I have always been able to tolerate oatmeal. And the printed info says that some people with wheat allergies are not gluten intolerant and can eat oats and barley.
So, I am watching my diet to see if my condition improves. If not, I will consult my doctor again. Some of you may remember that I had a similar episode about a year ago and had a battery of tests and nothing was found that could have caused my problems. So, it is frustrating and painful for me.

I didn't leave the house this past weekend. And, Barry had a three day weekend and stayed busy running errands and doing some plumbing jobs in the bathrooms and some cleaning jobs that don't have to be done every week. Yes, I know I am lucky to have a Mr. Fix-It in the house. I always have been as my late husband could fix most anything.

Se you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home