Monday, August 11, 2008

TRYING HOT NEW IBS TREATMENT & THOUGHTS ON ASTROLOGY

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Last week, I saw my family doctor for my three month check-up. It so happened that I was suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) on that day. The doctor suggested a trial of wheat free diet, gluten for a month and pro-biotic daily. You may recall that I told you recently of my intention of trying the wheat gluten detection test but I decided to wait until I consulted with my doctor. I found out the newest hot treatment for IBS is pro-biotics
which replaces bad bacteria with good bacteria and helps digestion and helps strengthen immune system and also reduces inflammation in colon. You can buy probiotics over the counter at grocery or vitamin stores in capsules, tablets, gelcap liquid and in cultured yogurt products.

Not all IBS patients are helped with this treatment but new studies show they do no harm. And they have the potential to be an effective first-line therapy for IBS and other bowel symptoms in a safe manner. My doctor gave me a month's supply of Amitiza capsules to take when constipated.

So, the past few days have been a big change for me. I love all forms of bread and other wheat foods which are taboo on the diet. The doctor told me to eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Also, many commercially processed foods contain gluten so I don't know if I will be able to stay on the diet.

I hadn't been out of the house except to go to the doctor for several weeks. So, this past Sunday, Barry drove us to Dalton for an early lunch at Ryan's and then we went to the mall for haircuts. The weather was nice, warm, bright sunshine with a balmy breeze and a touch of fall in the air. Unfortunately, this is the beginning of the ragweed allergies and Barry and I both were suffering from the affects of it that night.

Many people seem to be interested in astrology. While logic tells me the whole thing's unscientific, I must confess I find the subject fascinating. I read everything I come across about my Zodiac sign and have a Zodiac wheel on my den wall. Like some other people, I accept the things I like and reject the parts I don't. Astrology magazines and articles in other publications often list personality traits of the 12 Zodiac signs. Some of these are uncanny in their accuracy. I'm almost convinced that in spite of logic that the time of year a person is born does have some influence on personality. But, I'm afraid I can't take the astrology forecast seriously.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home