Monday, August 04, 2008

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER EVOKE RANDOM THOUGHTS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Dog Days are hot, sticky summer days. The name dog days originated by the ancient Greeks when the dog star, Sirius,
rose with the sun, a period of about 40 days in early July and ending near the mid August. The rising of Sirius doesn't actually affect the weather. But, the middle part of the 40 day period happens to occur at the same time as most of the uncomfortably hot days.

Here in Northwest Georgia the hot weather is oppressive now. And, to make matters worse, chiggers are all over our yard.
They are the larva of a parasitic mite that causes severe itching. Son Barry says he gets one or more every time he goes outside. He has already had a bad case of poison ivy and he bought some stuff at a hardware store and destroyed the ivy for this year at least.

I was thinking yesterday of my childhood summers during the Dog Days and I don't remember being too hot. It was a wonderful time for me and my sisters. We went barefoot and got bee stings from the clover in the yard most every day. But, that was a mere nuisance. Besides the greenery and flowers, there were fun times, playing the long days. Then, at night we caught lightning bugs in glass fruit jars. But, I was a funny, little girl and during the play time, I would sometimes want to be alone. At those times, I would disappear into a sage grass field on our land. I would lay down in the tall grass and gaze at the fluffy white clouds and daydream about my future.

Looking back now, I realize I had an enchanted, innocent childhood. Too soon I grew up and went out in the real world.
I have had my ups and downs during my 80 years and have my share of regrets. But, all in all, it's been a good life.
I've always asked God not to give me more than I can bear. There have been moments of despair when I didn't think I could keep going but from somewhere I found the strength to survive.
Despite health problems and painful times, I still love life and hope to be here on earth a while longer, Lord willing.
And I cherish happy times now and don't take them for granted.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home