Monday, August 18, 2008

SON BARRY'S HOME IMPROVEMENT JOBS IN OUR ALREADY NICE KITCHEN MAKE IT EVEN NICER


By OLIVENE GODFREY
Recently, son Barry did some home improvement jobs in our already nice kitchen which have made it even nicer. The job he had put off for a long time was sanding the top of our butcher block wooden work island again. My late husband, Ralph, made the work island for me as a Christmas gift about 25 years ago. It has been in almost constant use since then and the top needed to be sanded again.

Barry sanded the work island top enough that the natural grain was enhanced but he purposely didn't make the top too smooth.
He said the imperfections in the wooden top added to the work island's character. Many visitors to our kitchen have thought the work island was an antique. When Barry finished the sanding, he oiled down the wood and it looks very nice now.

Our kitchen holds many happy memories for Barry and me. For years, Ralph cooked a hearty breakfast in the kitchen on Sunday mornings. He was especially proud of his hash brown potatoes and pancakes and rightly so as they were delicious. Barry won't even try to cook those foods as he said he couldn't compare with "Pa's cooking of them". Like many good cooks, Ralph made an awful mess in the kitchen while cooking. And I was the one who spent a great deal of time cleaning up the kitchen on Sunday mornings.

After Ralph retired and before he became ill,he had a good vegetable garden every year and often fried squash and okra in the kitchen for our suppers. Like Ralph, Barry can cook and he says he knows enough about cooking to keep from starving if he lived alone. Barry prepares our meats, chicken breast and fish on our indoor electric grill and is in change of the charcoal outdoor grill.

I have never been a great cook but my cooking pleased Ralph and still does Barry. And, they often complimented me on a good meal, especially holiday dinners. But, Ralph, and sometimes Barry, let me know when they didn't like a food I had prepared for a meal. I told Ralph one day he had hurt my feelings about a meal. He said if he had let me continue cooking the food in that way that I wouldn't know that it didn't please them.
I guess he had a point.

I have been under the weather for several days and didn't go out any this past weekend. I hope I will soon feel well.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home