Sunday, August 31, 2008

HURRICANES & MORE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

The remnants of Tropical Storm Fay brought a much needed soaking rain to the drought stricken state of Georgia last week. Here at our house, we had five inches of rain. While the storm brought severe weather to parts of the state, our region was spared any damage and had just the welcomed rain that was an answer to our prayers.

As I write this, Hurricane Gustav appears to be taking a direct aim at New Orleans. Remembering Hurricane Katrina, Gulf Coast residents were ordered to evacuate this weekend and according to news stories, they are leaving in droves. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Gulf residents.

-------------------------------

I enjoyed Ralph Emory's interview last week with Mickey Gilley on RFD-TV. As I watched the program, I recalled a brief interview I had with Gilley back in the 1970s after a show. He was so nice and friendly, I have remained a fan of his music and was glad to hear an update on his life.

I want to remember to tune in to Ralph Emory's show in a week or so when country artist, George Jones, and his daughter with the late Tammy Wynette, Georgette' will be the guests.

I heard country singer, Jeannie Seely, sing her big record, "Don't Touch Me" on a TV music channel last night and I remembered a short interview following an outdoor show on a very hot summer day. I asked if she ever grew tired of singing,"Don't Touch Me" and she said she didn't as the song had been so good too her. She was nice and friendly even in the hot, humid weather which was obviously bothering her.

--------------------------

Lately, I have been feeling discouraged because I have had to give up so many things that I used to take for granted before growing old. Also, I know I'm grasping for straws when I continue to try new treatments for my Irritable Bowel syndrome in the hope my health will improve. It's also depressing to tire so easily and need so many rest breaks during the day.
I try not to feel self-pity and most of the time I am able to be cheerful but I do wonder if I will ever feel really well again.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home