Sunday, September 21, 2008

ENJOYING A GOOD OUTING ON A LATE SUMMER DAY

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry and I planned an outing several days in advance of last Friday when he didn't have to work. I did my Friday chores on Thursday. And on Friday morning I was up early and noted the weather was cooperating with our plans as it was a sunny pleasant late summer day. Even my old body seemed to be cooperating...well, sort of. Nevermind! I was determined to have a good outing and we took my wheelchair to be certain of that.

Barry drove us to Dalton's Walnut Square Mall and we parked near the mall's rear entrance. We observed that the construction of a huge, splendid theater was coming along nicely. Then Barry pushed me in the wheelchair to the mall entrance and we stopped at the Chic-Fil-A and had a delicious early lunch. Afterwards,
we went to the MasterCuts and my favorite stylist was working and she gave me a good, short haircut. All of the stylists are good but my favorite one gives me an extra good one.

We window shopped a little and then returned to Barry's car to drive a short distance to my main destination,
Hobby Lobby Creative Center which specializes in arts and crafts and a wide array of home accents and the most artificial flower displays that I have ever seen. With my wheelchair, Barry was able to give me a tour of the large building which was formally a Wal Mart store. (Dalton has two Wal-Mart super stores now.)
Barry discovered the Hobby Lobby store awhile back as he was looking for a patriotic bouquet to place on his late dad's grave. He found what he wanted and has returned for more flowers.

Barry told me I would enjoy visiting the store but the time never did seem right. And then I needed an artificial fern arrangement for one of the hanging baskets in our sunken den where hanging baskets are suspended on exposed beams at the high points of the slanted ceiling. And, last Friday, I found what I was looking for at Hobby Lobby. When we returned home and Barry had hung the fern basket, I asked him to do some research on the Hobby Lobby store.

I found out that all store locations are closed on Sunday out of respect of the founder's Christian belief. Since my outings are on Sundays that was one reason I hadn't visited the store before. Hobby Lobby is a privately held retail chain of arts and crafts store based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Founded by David Green on August 3, 1972 with a $600 loan from the bank
the chain has grown from one 700 foot store to over 386 stores in 29 states as of August, 2007 with projections to have over
450 stores by the end of 2009. The company has projected sales of close to $2 billion in 2008.
The research says that founder Green donates extensively to his church and many other non-profit Christian based organizations

Wow! What a success story!

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home