Monday, July 11, 2005

HURRICANE DENNIS DUMPING RAIN ON US & MORE....

BY OLIVENE GODFREY

As I write this early Monday morning, the wind is howling and with torrential rain and I am hoping the electric power doesn't go out before I finish this (I am cooking a roast in the Crock Pot today and hoping power stays on long enough for it to cook).
The weather people say we will have showers and storms for the rest of this week from Hurricane Dennis. When I woke up today and heard the sound of wind and rain, I was reminded of two hurricanes that hit the Florida gulf coast long ago.

Ralph and I lived on the Florida gulf coast for four years and our son, Barry, was born in St. Petersburg. When Ralph and I were living on the beach at Treasure Island, FL and I was seven months pregnant, a hurricane hit the gulf coast and we were evacuated over to the mainland at St Petersburg. I remember packing a bag and when we arrived at a friend's house to spend the night, I discovered that about all I had in the bag was tiny baby clothes that I had bought and received as gifts for the baby. I guess I thought if our small duplex got blown away, I would at least have the infant clothes.

Later, after Barry was born, we lived in a small cottage at St Petersburg and the yard was a bird sanctuary and we saw many interesting birds. The back yard had about half a dozen large avocado trees and as many pink grapefruit trees and in the front yard were tall palm trees. We had a hurricane when Barry was about a year old and we watches TV until the power went off.
We went to bed and then we heard an awful sound coming fro m the rear of the house. Ralph got up to investigate and discovered the strong winds was blowing the large avocados off of the trees and they were pelting the house. He closed the door to our bedroom in case some of the avocadoes hit a window. I looked outside and the palm trees were bending all the way to the ground. It was a scary night but we survived okay.

Barry and I think we had a stomach virus all weekend and I still feel a bit woozy. And Barry had a double whammy. He decided late Friday afternoon, to re-arrange some of the furniture in his den and he pulled a muscle in his groin, the same place where it had happened about a year ago when he lifted his tomato plant in a large container. He thinks he has Tendonitis, an inflammation of a muscle tendon. From his research on the Internet, he found out that ice packs and rest are required to heal. He didn't sleep any Friday night as the pain was so intense. He used ice and rested all day Saturday. And, he went to bed at 6:30 P.M. Saturday night and slept 12 hours. Our doctor has told us that we heal from injuries when we sleep and he agreed that it really helped him. He was able to get up and move about and stayed busy Sunday. He was careful not to lift anything heavy. He went to work this morning and I hope he will be all right the rest of the day.

It is getting dark outside and I don't like the way the wind is blowing. WE have so many tall trees in our yard that I worry about the wind blowing them over on the house.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home