Sunday, May 01, 2005

BY OLIVENE GODFREY



Good doctor's report, learning to slow down & enjoying spring from windows

It has been three weeks now since I fell and broke my shoulder and arm bone and it seems like a much longer period. I went to dr this past Friday for a follow-up visit and x-ray. The good news is that my broken bone is healing nicely. I don't need to see dr again for three weeks and then if my arm is okay I may be able to remove the sling. It will be wonderful to be able to use my right hand again. Meanwhile, i will be exercising my right arm gently each day. I am still taking medication for the pain but am able to go for longer periods now without it.
I see a ray of light at the end of a dark tunnel.

A dedicated, young therapist is working with me on my poor balance which has caused me to fall several times in the past. Her advice to me often is Slow Down. She says that i tend to jump up from a chair and trot across the room. That was instilled within me as a child. I equated being slow with being lazy which was considered a sin in my world. It is hard to slow down in our fast-paced society. It is just about impossible in our fast paced society, especially in our work places and on our busy highways, to take it easy. But rushing out of the car and dashing up the elevated sidewalk got me in this condition. Son Barry always tells me to wait for him to assist me. In the future i will defiantly do that.

I have had a plaque on my wall for years that says "along the way take time to smell the roses" but i didn't pay any attention to it. Now that i am elderly and retire from workplaces, i have no excuse for not slowing down. As the therapist advises, the only time to get in a rush is if your tail is on fire."

I had eagerly awaited spring time here in northwest Georgia where the lush greenness is so beautiful. I am able to enjoy it from my many windows. The birds are still flocking to our feeder and the blue jays send those pesky squirrels fleeing and that amuses me. Barry plans to move the rest of the plants to the patio today. He will re-pot some of them and has already put miracle grow on them. I miss being able to putter with plants but Barry has a green thumb and is doing a good job with them and his tomato plant which is in a large pot.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home