Monday, February 28, 2005

DIARY NOTES....

By Olivene Godfrey

Since I have been having arthritis pain lately, I hadn’t been on an outing in some time. So, yesterday (Sunday), son Barry drove us to the huge mall, Hamilton Place, in Chattanooga.
We ate a delicious lunch at the Piccadilly which is my favorite place to eat superb Southern cuisine. Then, Barry pushed me in my wheelchair throughout the mall.

Everywhere we looked we saw, in clothes, decorations, dinnerware, etc., the bright colors of chartreuse, fuchsia, tangerine, yellow, etc.... I remember twice in my lifetime when these identical colors were popular (in late 1940s and 1950s and then again in the 1970s.) Barry and I remembered that in the 1970s, I bought a set of dishes in a bright fiesta red which are packed away now.

At the mall, we also saw my cousin, Ernestine, who lives in Chattanooga, and we chatted a few minutes with her. Her mother, my Aunt Helen, who I have written about many times, is 101 years old. She lived alone until she was nearly 100 and lives in a nursing home now where she has her own telephone. Ernestine said yesterday that Aunt Helen has trouble seeing and hearing but her mind is still as "sharp as a tack." I still write her occasionally and someone at the nursing home reads her mail to her. She is an amazing woman.

On our way home, Barry drove us to downtown, Dalton, GA, my old "stomping ground." Malls and shopping centers surround the city now and it had been many years since I had been down on the main street. While the historic town has been somewhat renovated, it hasn't changed a lot since my youth when people of all ages strolled along the sidewalks and greeted friends and shopped in the stores. And, at night young people who had cars would, "Drag Main". Other teens would walk along the sidewalks, flirting with each other.

In the World War 11 years, we walked most everywhere in town. Barry asked me what we did when the weather was bad and I recalled that we would call a taxi which would take us anywhere in town for 15 cents!

-------------------

Some of you may recall that my sister, Joan, died last year and now her family is saddened again. Joan's daughter, Connie, is fighting for her life in a battle with cancer. She starts chemotherapy and radiation treatments this week and Joan's daughter-in-law, Annie, who cared for Joan, is caring for Connie, too. Annie said Connie is very positive and is determined to beat the odds and win her battle.
Our family would be grateful if readers will remember Connie in their prayers.

My memories of Connie are mostly of her childhood years as she and her family have lived in Florida for many years. I remember buying Connie a pair of black patent leather sandals when she was four or five and she was so excited and she told me she had "butterflies" in her stomach.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home