Wednesday, February 02, 2005

JONQUILS COMING UP--CAN SPRING BE FAR AWAY?--POWER OF YOGURT-- BARRY'S DRY SOCKET....

By Olivene Godfrey

Our jonquils are coming up through the winter soil, giving son, Barry, and me hope that spring cannot be far away. We love spring with all the new greenery and planting tomatoes and the flowers blooming and the balmy days, which I am really looking forward to this year.

This winter has been harder on me than any in my memory. It started out bad with propane gas, which our central heat uses, costing a fortune. We have tried to conserve the propane gas by using kerosene and electric space heaters during the daytime hours and turning central heat down low at night and cranking up our electric blankets to try to stay warm.

I am still cold a lot. I suspect my chilling is related to old age. I am beginning to understand why so many seniors flock to warm climates, like Florida, in the winter.

---------------------
Some of you may remember that last year, I lowered my cholesterol dramatically by eating a bowl of oatmeal every day. I am still eating the oatmeal and the last time I had my cholesterol checked, it was even lower.

Mow I have started on a new food to try to improve my health. I recently read a feature, EATSMART. By Jean Carper, in USA
WEEKEND, on five reasons to eat more yogurt. The five reasons listed with details are lose weight, cut risk of colon cancer,
Fight bacteria, ease arthritis and help your gut. The reasons were based on recent studies that indicate that yogurt is, indeed, a healthy food. I will let you know in time how my yogurt eating affects my ailments.

---------------------------

Barry had an impacted wisdom tooth surgically removed about two weeks ago and he is still having pain. He went back last week for a follow up visit with the oral surgeon and Barry has a dry socket. The doctor gave him a syringe to irrigate the socket several times a day. He stopped taking the strong, prescription pain medicine and is taking pain medicine that doesn't make him drowsy. Barry did some research on the Internet about the subject and found out the dry socket occurs when the blood clot is lost from an extraction site prematurely.
The article said that, " the pain is an exquisitely painful but otherwise relatively harmless situation." The article also states that, "time and good oral hygiene usually resolves the situation." Right now Barry says his dry socket is getting better but he is still having pain and he wonders how much longer he will be plagued with this problem.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home