Sunday, January 02, 2005

NEW YEAR"S DAY --- A PERFECT DAY FOR ME!

By Olivene Godfrey

The first day of 2005 didn't begin well at all for me. I woke up at two in the morning in pain. I got up and "doctored" myself and went back to bed. After a while, the pain eased but I was wide-awake. So, I dozed until six A.M. when I began to have hunger pangs in my stomach. I got up and ate breakfast and took a massage shower and revived myself. I had done my household chores the previous day so I rested until time to get dressed to start on our serious shopping outing for the day.
Son Barry drove me to the huge two-story Hamilton Place Mall in Chattanooga. We ate a delicious lunch at the Piccadilly Cafeteria. Barry ate a serving of black-eyed peas, which is a tradition in the American South to eat on New Year's Day to assure one of a prosperous coming year. He said the peas were cooked in the Southern style and were very good.

We took my wheel chair with us and after lunch Barry pushed me all over the two floors of the mall, getting a good workout he said. Barry is a great shopper. He never seems to get tired and can find whatever I am searching for quickly. He enjoys shopping in most stores, from hardware to clothing stores.
While he feels a little uncomfortable in some shops I want to browse in, he is still able to find what I am looking for faster than I can.

I bought all the items on my list at good sale prices, including a gorgeous long, black winter coat, which was marked down to 60 percent off the hefty original price. The coat should look nice with long dresses as well as slacks on cold, wintry days.

The last time I bought a winter coat was about ten years ago when my late husband, Ralph, took me shopping. He helped me select the coat and I still wear it for casual wear. Ralph wasn't a big shopper except for fishing equipment and occasionally a particular clothing item. The last shopping trip we took together before he became ill was just before Christmas that year. He wanted a black, leather jacket for Christmas and wanted to select it himself. We went to every clothing store in the Dalton, GA mall and he tried on jackets only to return to the first store we went to and bought that jacket. I didn't complain as he had helped me shop on occasions when I knew he wasn't enjoying himself. I wish he could have worn the jacket longer.

This past Christmas, Barry bought me several gadgets to use in the kitchen which help me work with my arthritic hands. Also, he bought an indoor healthful grill, which we are enjoying using for beef burgers and sandwiches, etc....

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home