Monday, December 20, 2004

COLD WEATHER IN GEORGIA MOUNTAIN COUNTRY & ATLANTA'S FOX TO HAVE 75TH BIRTHDAY--BRINGING BACK SWEET MEMORY FOR ME....

By Olivene Godfrey

Brrrr.... Old Man Winter has come to the northwest Georgia mountain country with a vengeance, bringing temp of 15 degrees above zero here this morning. But, the sun is shining brightly today which is a welcome sight after yesterday's cloudy and cold weather with occasional snow showers.

Alas, with the high cost of propane gas, we have to keep our central heat thermostat set a low temp and we are using space electric and kerosene heaters to supplement the central heat. We use the space heaters in the part of the house where we spend the most time. I am also dressing warmly. But, unfortunately, our bathrooms are in the cold part of the house and when I go to my bathroom, I am reminded of the outhouse that was out behind my grandparents' farmhouse in Middle Tennessee when I was a child. But, our bathrooms aren't THAT cold.

Whenever I think of that old outhouse, I remember the grapes that grew on vines on a fence beside the path that led to the outhouse. The grapes were luscious and my grandmother and two spinster aunts made delicious grape juice and would serve it in ornate glasses with desserts at special dinners.
But I digress....

FABULOUS FOX.... I enjoyed reading the article, "AT 75, FOX SHINES ON GILDED GLORY", by Jim Auchmutey, in the December 18th issue of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The article brought back a happy memory of when my late husband, Ralph, and I spent our honeymoon in the first week in May of 1947 in Atlanta.
One afternoon that week, we saw the movie, "The Yearling" at the splendid Fox theatre. I had grown up going to movies at Chattanooga’s elegant Tivoli and later to the beautiful Wink in Dalton, GA but I was awestruck by the magnificence of the Fox. As the article goes, "However big the act, the theater with the twinkling stars overhead always manages to steal some of the limelight."

The Fox will be 75 the day after Christmas and will celebrate with an open house and stage show that is free to the public.

---------------

I wish for each of you a Merry Christmas and every good wish for the coming year!

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home