Sunday, December 12, 2004

BIRTHDAYS PRESENT AND PAST....

By Olivene Godfrey,

On December 10, 2004, I celebrated my 77th birthday. You may ask, what is there to celebrate about at such an advanced age?
Well, the main reason is that I am grateful that despite my ups and downs, I have lived this long, and that my mind is still working fairly well, at least most of the time.

On this birthday, Barry and a friend took me over to the Western Sizzlin Steak House and Buffet restaurant in Dalton, Ga where patrons are served a free meal on their birthdays. All that is required is to show your ID. I enjoyed a delicious lunch from the Buffet and even ate a small piece of strawberry cheesecake, which is a "NO NO" on my sugar free and low carb diet. But, doctors say it is okay to go off the diet now and then and I thought I deserved it on my birthday.

When we came out of the restaurant, Barry said something to me I didn't understand. (My hearing isn't too good now). And it was a cold day and Barry and his friend started walking briskly across the huge parking lot to Barry's car, which was parked quite a distance from the Western Sizzlin. I started walking across the parking lot and when I got about half way to the car it flashed across my mind that Barry meant to pick me up at the restaurant door. Instead of returning to the restaurant, I started running, something I haven't done in years.
Imagine this scene-- a 77-year-old woman, kicking up her heels like a young girl, and running across that parking lot. I wasn't too winded when I surprised Barry and the friend by appearing at the car as they were getting in it. Barry said a year ago, I could only walk a few feet without feeling breathless. My legs hurt like the dickens that night and the next day. Barry credits the diet I started Sept 4th with giving me more energy and stamina.

That night I received a phone call from Annie, the daughter in law of my sister, Joan, who passed away in October. She wished me a Happy Birthday and we had an enjoyable conversation. She is an aspiring talented writer who I predict will go far in the business in the future. I also talked a while to my sister, Jeanette who lives in Dalton, and then it was my bedtime, and I was ready for the deep sleep that came at the end of a good birthday.

I've had some memorable birthdays such as the nighttime party my Mother gave me on my 13th birthday. I grew up in a sheltered environment and while Mother permitted my guests and me to play the old game, "Spin The Bottle", we weren't allowed to kiss. We girls were permitted to walk a short distance outside with the boys. We thought we were being bold because we held hands then.
But, the next day, one girl confided in my friends and me that she had let a boy kiss her. We were shocked but I will admit a bit envious, too.

My best birthday came four days after the 10th the year Barry was born in a St. Petersburg, FL hospital on Dec 14th. My husband, Ralph, who died in 2002, and I lived on the beach at Treasure Island, FL and I had a healthy pregnancy, spending a lot of time walking on the beach. But, that year, on my birthday, I was feeling very uncomfortable, to say the least.
And, on the 14th, Barry was born and was my best birthday gift ever.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home