Sunday, October 24, 2004

REMEMBERING JOAN....

By Olivene Godfrey

When my sisters and I heard that our sister, Joan Barker of West Palm Beach, FL, had died on October 19, 2004, our hearts were broken and our lives will never be the same again. Joan was a spunky, tiny lady, who had experienced great personal tragedy and become a stronger person who cheered and comforted others in the family. She also had a fiery temper at times and it was best to stay away from her then.

My sisters, Joan's twin, Jeanette Cooper, and our youngest sister, Dianne Vaughn, all have our own special memories of Joan. The past few days I have been remembering our childhood and young adult years when we had such good times. Joan had a keen sense of humor and was fun to be with and our mother who died four years ago often spoke of Joan's cute little giggle that came out in her conversations.

Although Joan and I have not lived near each other since our young adult years, we have stayed in close touch via letters, phone calls and occasional visits. For a number of years, Joan and I have exchanged e-mail letters almost every day. And, I know for the rest of my life I will miss receiving her letters which arrived right up to the final two days she lived. Somehow, her amazing strength helped her type that last letter when she was near death. When I was caring for my husband, Ralph, before his death two years ago, Joan's e-mail letters were the highlights of my days.

On the morning when Joan died, the weather outside was dark and stormy and that morning I paced the floor, crying and feeling so helpless since my poor health prevented me from going to West Palm Beach. Joan's English-born daughter-in-law who took care of Joan when she became confined to her bed called me and suggested I write a eulogy for Joan. I felt that was something I could do for Joan so that afternoon with tearful eyes, I wrote a eulogy which was read at Joan's memorial service.

Joan was a person of great determination and wanted so much to walk again. And several friends and relatives have said this week they believe Joan is walking in heaven now.

Joan's family did everything they could to make her happy and comfortable during her final year. Joan loved football and they had DIRECTV installed so she could watch her beloved Pittsburgh Steelers play games every Sunday. Last Sunday, she was near death and she watched the Steelers win their game and was pleased, Annie told me.

Joan's birthday was October 13th and her family dressed her up and took her to a fine restaurant for her birthday day dinner of steak and the trimmings and she wrote me the next day that she enjoyed the evening very much.

A memorial service was held at Joan's West Palm Beach home October 23, 2004, and the Hospice chaplain she liked conducted the service. Joan's son, Rex, and her daughter, Connie, and Annie all told me that the UPS man delivered a package at the house during the ceremony. Rex laughed when he saw the package as Joan often ordered items on line and the package contained some Christmas gifts for the family that she had ordered. He thought that Joan would have liked having them delivered at that time and he explained to the many people who had come to the house to pay their final respects to Joan what had happened. They all had a good laugh and the service continued. All of the family told me the service was beautiful. And while the people there enjoyed refreshments, Annie said it was like a celebration of Joan's life.

So long for now, Joan. I hope to see you again one day.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home