Monday, October 04, 2004

RECENT ILLNESS--SHOPPING TRIP & MORE ABOUT BENEFITS OF OATMEAL.

By Olivene Godfrey

I am recovering (I HOPE) from my first and I pray my last bladder infection. I think it was coming on me for about a week as I didn't feel well and then I started having horrendous chills that frightened me until I started hyperventilating, scaring me,
And Barry, half to death. Barry, bless him. Was a good nurse, taking my temp when it soared up to 103 degrees and giving me Aleve and bringing me cold drinks until the fever was down. Trouble was, the fever kept coming back. S, in the end, I did what I should have done a few days earlier and that was to go to my doctor.

The diagnosis was a bladder infection, which shocked me as I had, incredibly, lived to an advanced age without ever having one and didn't know what the symptoms were. I was given a prescription for an antibiotic and have been taking it and feel a lot better. I go back to the dr for a follow up visit a week from today and hope I will be pronounced well and fit.

I have been on the low carb and low sugar diet for a month now and my blood sugar tests have been fine the past few weeks.
I have lost five pounds and would have liked to lose more but guess it is better to lose the weight slowly. I haven't missed any of the foods I have had to give up, as I am able to find most of them in low carb or no sugar products at the grocery store.

To perk me up, Barry took me to Chattanooga yesterday (Sunday) to eat lunch at the Piccadilly and we took my wheelchair along so we could browse a while in the Hamilton Place mall.
He says after the big lunch he eats up there, he needs to push me around in the mall for exercise.

After we ate, we window-shopped and were amused that all the latest fashions in the windows are straight out of the 1970s styles. One big difference was the prices.

I bought a couple of pairs of sweat pants at Sears as with propane gas prices soaring we will need to keep the heat turned down low this winter and I will be wanting to dress warmly.
I also bought a mattress pad at Sears that is something I had put off doing and it is a new fangled one that is so comfortable I could kick myself for not buying it sooner.

It was a good day although I was tired when we returned home. But, I went to bed early last night and feel better today.

ABOUT OATMEAL-- I have written in the past about how eating oatmeal every morning lowered my cholesterol dramatically, and yesterday as I scanned the USA TODAY magazine, I spied a news item that sparked my interest.

In the feature, "Eat Smart" by Jean Carper, she states that, in new research, "Mohsen Meydai of Tufts University found that oats contain compounds, called avenanthramides, that may suppress the ability of blood cells to cling to artery walls, where they incite inflammation, plaque buildup and. eventually, a possible heart attack."

See? I told you months ago, there are good reasons to eat oatmeal every day. When I had my annual physical exam this past August, my cholesterol was down even more so the oatmeal benefits continue to work.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home