Tuesday, August 10, 2004

HANDWRITING MAY SHOW TRAITS

By Olivene Godfrey

In psychological studies that compared handwriting characteristics with the results of personality tests, it was found that the handwriting of all people is affected by personality conflicts, emotional crises, neuroses and so forth.

I have found this study interesting because of personal experiences. During a crisis or time of stress I am usually composed, outwardly. In fact, I've usually been able to cope with crises without falling apart. Yet during such times my handwriting obviously reveals inner stress. It is barely legible
and I have trouble keeping a pen steady. For some reason during such times I can still type.

This doesn't happen only during tragic periods in my life. Following the birth of my son I felt marvelous. So, a couple of days after he was born, I decided to address announcements of his birth to relatives and friends. But, I couldn't hold the pen steady enough to write. Physically I felt fine and I was very happy. Yet, childbirth had obviously affected my emotions to the point that it affected my handwriting.

Once I was skeptical of handwriting analysis. But, psychotically studies have shown what simply makes sense, that our emotions and our personality traits do affect our penmanship. Studies have shown that a person reveals more than his name in his signature. The writing of his name, an action performed over and over throughout our lifetime, can be seen as a repeated test that indicates that person's estimation of himself.

Research on groups of people of varying status in life has shown that a person's signature tends to grow larger as his status increases. Studies have also shown, and I've found this true,
that most people talk the way they write. In studies in which samples of subjects' voice recordings were compared with their handwriting, many similarities were noted.

For instance, handwriting of people with loud voices tends to be characterized by bold strokes and heavy pressure. People whose speech is forceful, persuasive, and who try to influence others , often underline words when they write to add extra emphasis.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home