Monday, July 19, 2004

WATERMELON, CLEAN WINDOWS, MOTHER"S CRAPE MYRTLE BUSH, & REQUEST PRAYERS FOR SISTER, JOAN....

By Olivene Godfrey

I think I was born with a love for chilled, sweet, red watermelon in the summertime. I was a tiny girl and could eat an enormous amount of watermelon with no ill effects. All of our relatives and friends knew of my watermelon love. One summer when I was spending a couple of weeks with my grandparents and two aunts at the family farm in Middle Tennessee, I experienced a watermelon serendipity.

The family planned a trip to the nearest town to do some shopping and my grandmother bought me a new dress which I loved and when the time came to start back to the farm, I was tired but happy.
One of my aunts who was finishing some shopping and my grandfather met us at the car and when it was time to leave I heard Grandpa and my aunt laughing as they inspected each other's purchase of a big watermelon. It seemed each one had slipped off to surprise me with the watermelon. We laughed all the way home about it and it was a watermelon serendipity for a little girl.

Later, when my late husband, Ralph, and I were dating, we shared a love for watermelon. And, one summer night, we bought a big watermelon and took it to my house. No one was home at that time, so we placed newspapers on the kitchen table and Ralph cut the watermelon into two halves, one for me and one for him, and we ate the hearts out of those halves, a nice ending for the evening.

These days, I only buy slices of cold watermelon at the grocery store as Barry doesn't share my love for watermelon, and now I could never eat a whole watermelon.

CLEAN WINDOWS.... Early this past spring, son Barry decided he would clean all 25 of our house's windows during this summer. The windows, except for a large picture window, have old fashioned storm windows that have to be removed to clean .
When Barry had spare time, he has cleaned one or two windows and he cleaned them thoroughly and the screens as well.
He also cleaned the Venetian blinds in some of the windows.
This past weekend, Barry finished the job by cleaning the last two windows. And we celebrated with a Subway sandwich Sunday night which is always a treat for us.

MOTHER"S CRAPE MYRTLE.... When my mother died four years ago, Ralph's brother' Ray, and his wife, Joyce, gave me a check to buy a plant for our yard which would be in memory of my mother. I purchased a crape myrtle bush and Barry planted it and has taken good care of it. Now it is covered with lovely red blooms and reminds me of my 92-year-old mother each time I look at the bush. It also reminds me of Joyce and Ray's thoughtfulness.

JOAN.... My sister, Joan, who has lived in West Palm Beach, FL for many years, is very ill, and we would appreciate prayers for her from this column's readers. She is a tiny woman with a big heart and has survived several tragedies in her 72 years
and we are so worried about her.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home