Tuesday, June 08, 2004

GROCERY CART CAPER & FUN WHEELCHAIR RIDE IN K-MART....

By Olivene Godfrey

On a recent weekend morning, son Barry went to the grocery store with me despite feeling somewhat groggy from sleeping too late.
I had been under the weather for several days and wasn't as alert as I should have been. So, we were putting items in our grocery cart in sort of a daze.

We were just barely starting our shopping when we both left the shopping cart for several minutes while we searched for a certain item. When we went back to where we had left our cart, it had disappeared! I guess I sounded hysterical as I told a store employee our buggy was missing. The worker began to go up and down the aisles searching for our cart as did Barry.
I might mention here that Barry, who has blond hair and blue eyes, has a dark heavy beard and he hadn't shaved in a couple of days. So, we were not looking our best that day.

Just as we thought we would have to begin our shopping again, Barry located our cart in the meat department. It is still a mystery what happened but the trip turned out okay in the end.

When I told my sister, Joan, about the episode, she said, "People in your town may start a rumor now that you are hitting the booze and Barry is using drugs." I can assure everyone we were both sober, just a bit strange and zany.

The incident of the shopping cart reminded me of a day when my mother and I went shopping in a grocery store. Mother always kept her purse in the buggy and I missed her and went back an aisle and she was pacing the floor, looking frantic. Seems she couldn't remember where she had left her cart and her purse was in it. We finally found the cart, with Mother's purse still there which was like a small miracle. We were both more careful about our purses after that incident.

Back to Barry and my weekend. On another day, we went to eat at Shoney's in nearby Dalton, GA about 11:30 A.M. The meal, grilled catfish for me, was delicious. We decided to shop at K Mart which is located next door to Shoney's.

Then, we removed the wheelchair I had on loan while I waited for a new one for me to be delivered. I am unable to walk more than 30 feet without getting winded and tired due to health problems. When I am at home, I am able to do light housekeeping and cooking by taking frequent rest breaks and breathing treatments. Barry, a wonderful son, does the heavy work for me. I hadn't been able to walk much in large stores or at malls for some time. I might mention that Barry works out regularly and is strong and is a speed walker. Everyone who walks somewhere with him complains about his fast walking including myself.

Since it was early in the day, the K Mart store wasn't crowded yet and has wide aisles. So, Barry took me on a fun ride throughout the entire store, pausing a few times to select items we bought, and at the end of the trip I wasn't tired and exhausted like in the past.

Barry says when I get the new wheelchair, he will take me to Hamilton Place, the huge mall at Chattanooga, and we will eat lunch at the Piccadilly which I love, and for the first time he will give me a complete tour of the large mall. I am looking forward to that, too.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home