Wednesday, May 26, 2004

SHORT SUBJECTS ON MY MIND....

By Olivene Godfrey

KRISPY KREME-- I heard last night on the T.V. news that the Krispy Kreme company was losing sales due to the emphasis on healthy diets. While I only occasionally indulge myself by buying those delectable doughnuts, Krispy Kreme beings back sentimental memories for me. When my late husband, Ralph, and I were courting, I lived in Chattanooga and he lived in Dalton, GA and he came up to see me several nights a week. We would often stop at the Krispy Kreme store in Chattanooga back in the late 1940s and buy a big bag of glazed doughnuts that tasted like bites from heaven. Since we were both young and slender, we could eat anything and never gain an ounce. As Archie and Edith Bunker used to sing, "Ah, those were the days...."

ESP.... This past week, I had one of my very few ESP episodes in my entire life. A longtime friend, Lois Odom, who lives in Chattanooga, and who used to live next door to me when our families lived in East Ridge,TN many years ago. We have stayed in touch over the years via telephone calls and letters. I hadn't heard from her in several months and she was in my thoughts on Sunday. I told son Barry I was going to call her when I thought she would be home. As I was thinking about calling her the phone rang and it was Lois! We chatted awhile and got caught up on family news.

A few days ago, I called my aunt, Willodean Cook, who lives on Missionary Ridge, near Chattanooga, who wasn't feeling well.
She is a widow now and misses her husband very much. She lives near the nursing home where my aunt, Helen Rollins, lives and who celebrated her 100th birthday Some of you may have read the column when I wrote about Aunt Helen's party. Willodean said that Aunt Helen is almost blind and deaf and doesn't have a lot to say when Willodean visits her. Aunt Helen and I stayed in touch via letters and visits for my entire adult life until a couple of years ago when she could no longer see well enough to write. She sent me cards on my birthday every year and also greeting cards throughout the year. She is a wonderful, good person who is greatly loved by the entire family.

TREE PLANT....WE have had a Weeping Fig tree plant in our dining room near a window and the humidifier we use when the humidity is low for about two years and it has thrived and grown a lot.
Lately, when the humidity has been high we turned off the machine in the house and the plant has looked droopy. Barry decided the plant needed a larger pot and re-potted it and sat the plant on the patio. From the research I have done on the plant, it is grown in the tropics and thrives on humid, hot weather so it should do well on the patio with the heat we have been having lately.

My song writer friend, Julia Bowers, and I have often discusses the question, "Is writing a blessing or a curse?" I think sometimes we both think it may indeed be a nurse. Often, I wake in the wee hours of the morning and my mind starts racing with writing ideas and I compose writing pieces in my mind, and can't rest until I have put them on paper. The last time I talked to Julia on the phone, she sang a sad country song for me and it brought tears to my eyes. Julia and I are the same age and both have health problems but I think we will be writing as long as we can hold a pen or type.

See you next week....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home