Saturday, April 10, 2004

PAST EASTERS & DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME....

By Olivene Godfrey

During one of my quiet times this week, my mind went back to Easter memories of my childhood and teen years. Besides Easter egg hunts and church services, new clothes were a part of Easter for my sisters and me during our growing-up years.

I remember that my spunky, talented mother started sewing our pretty clothes weeks before Easter. She had learned to sew when she was a girl and by the time we kids were born she had become an expert at it. She would go to the best stores in Chattanooga, TN where my sisters and I grew up. and study the clothes for little girls and for herself. Then, with her sharp mind, she would go to the fabric department and choose materials for our dresses. With no patterns to go by, she would sew on her machine, and by hand, exact replicas of the expensive clothes she had studied in the department stores.

When Mother was 90, (she died when she was 92) she sewed a beautiful quilt for me by hand. The tiny, neat stitches are exquisite and I treasure the quilt.

I remember vividly the year I was 17 and my twin sisters, Joan and Jeanette were 13. (My youngest sister, Dianne, was born after the twins and I were grown and her Easter memories are different than ours but that is another story). We were living with our mother and Methodist preacher daddy in a small northwest Georgia town. That year, Mother took the twins and me with her to a larger nearby town in our old car. This was during World War II and gasoline was rationed so we walked almost every where we went in our little town.

That year, besides selecting our fabric for our dresses, we bought new shoes and mine were my first pair of high heels.
Mother decided we were old enough to wear hats to church so we selected hats and pairs of rayon stockings for all of us. (Nylon had gone to war). The rayon stockings were worn with garters and with every step we took, the rayon stretched even more.

That Easter morning, while Daddy paced the floor, afraid we would be late for Easter Sunday services, Mother helped all of us get dressed and primped before rushing to get dressed herself. After church, I was wobbly in my high heels but I began to walk the couple of blocks to our home. I laughed aloud when
I spied the twins, sitting on the curb, of the street, removing those stretchy rayon hose. I was tempted to remove my heels too but felt it wouldn't be lady like so kept wobbling until I reached the house.

I hope for each of you a happy Easter!

Everybody I have talked to this week, since Daylight Savings Time started, has said they felt lousy. And, I read this week that some researchers say that one hour of lost sleep has the same effect on a person as a three hour jet lag. It has been rough for Barry who goes to work at seven A.M. to get his body adjusted to the time.

I am free to cat nap during the daytime but I, too, have been having sleeping problems. Apparently, a nap doesn't help to make up for that lost hour of sleep. Hopefully, we will all adjust to the time change soon.

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home