Monday, February 16, 2004

IGNORANCE BLISS? IT IS DEBATIBLE....

By Olivene Godfrey

Around the first of a new year I find myself becoming philosophical. I take inventory of the past year and think of goals for the new year. I have been told that I think too much about life and that I try to analyze my own and other persons behavior, that I should try to accept what I don't understand and forget about it.

I do attempt to curb my curiosity. But, sooner or later, a thought or question pops into my mind and I start wondering, despite myself, "Why?"... and all the other thoughts I have been suppressing start tumbling out. Like, is it better to be ignorant of life's problems? Is ignorance bliss? Are person who don't even know they are ignorant happier and more content than more knowledgeable persons?

I've participated in some interesting discussions regarding that subject. And once you start thinking about it you get into a number of areas. For stance, some people equate the word, "ignorant", with low intelligence. But the dictionary defines ignorant as "unlearned, uninformed, and unaware, lacking in knowledge or information on a particular subject.

I have known highly intelligent persons, some on the genius level, who were ignorant regarding some subjects. I've never known a human being, and I doubt one exists, who does know everything. I've known a few who seemed to think they know everything about everything. But such an attitude reveals ignorance.

So, when I ask, "Is ignorance bliss?", I'm not speaking of those who are not capable of seeking or absorbing knowledge. I'm thinking of persons with average or above intelligence who for some reason--indifference, laziness, fear or whatever-- seem to prefer not to seek knowledge. And, I am also thinking of those who are unlearned because of their environment. These people are born with average or higher intelligence but they lack opportunities to find the answers to their questions and many times the spark of curiosity dies.

Some people think that the ignorant are happier because they don't know about the problems that worry the aware person.
Perhaps they are more carefree. But, while I have often thought my curiosity is a curse I don't think I would want to be unaware of the world's problems. And I wouldn't want to be the kind of person who never wonders, "why".

We all have a need to be more tolerant and understanding of our fellowmen. And to try to understand what makes a person do certain things, what makes him tick, helps us to be more tolerant of his actions.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home