Monday, January 05, 2004

WHO IS TO SAY WHAT NORMAL IS?

By Olivene Godfrey

I guess we all learn early in life to keep some of our peculiar quirks or ideas to ourselves. We learn that we are supposed to at least appear to the world that we are "normal" in our ideas and actions.

But, who is to say what is normal? I suspect that many so-called normal persons have some of those quirks that they may keep undercover.

For as long as I can remember, I've had what I suppose could be called a peculiar quirk. And, I seldom mention it to anyone, except to other people who have admitted similar quirks to me. I've always thought that certain people whom I've known or met resemble either physically or by their actions animals. Then people who know me personally know that I am a mother tigress when it comes to my son. In defense of him, I would fearlessly battle an army. Throw the sticks and stones at me but beware of harmful acts or words where he is concerned, or I become the mama tigress.

Then, I know charming people who by their actions remind me of friendly, puppy dogs. I've also known people who remind me of cats (meow- they aren't all females either) and vultures and snakes,etc....

Some people who I admire and who aren't unattractive remind me of other animals such as monkeys, lions, tigers, giraffe, bears and deer.

Then, of course, there are people who I know my personal prejudices cause me to think of as skunks, rats, coyote, opossum, parasites, etc....

Now, animals have many characteristics that are similar to those of human beings. Some animals hide when they are in danger. Others play dead until an enemy goes away. Several kinds of animals have built-in armor to protect them. Most animals try to flee from their enemies. But, they usually fight when cut off from flight, or to protect their young.

Most of us have at one time or another come across human beings who remind of the chameleon, a type of lizard that can change color in a few seconds. They can quickly develop black spots or dark streaks or turn brown or gray. And, shrimps can take on the color of the seaweed in which they live. Sound like any humans you know?

Some animals have a shell or hard covering that they use as armor for protection. Other animals have quills or spines.
Clams, roaches, and snails pull back their shells and keep them tightly shut until danger passes.

Human beings have been compared to turtles. The only way we get ahead is by sticking our neck out. If the turtle wants to go somewhere he must put himself in a vulnerable spot. With his head tucked under his shell, few natural enemies can harm him. But when he wants to move he's in an exposed situation.
Truly, the human race has progressed on the backs of individuals who dared to stick their necks out. And the world needs people who will stick their necks out for the right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home