Tuesday, October 21, 2003

WASHING AND DRYING CLOTHES EASIER IN MODERN TIMES

By Olivene Godfrey

For thousands of years the washing of clothes and linens was one of the most tiresome of household chores. IN early times women often washed clothes on smooth stones at the edge of running streams. Later, women used washboards to wash laundry in streams.

The washing machine of 1770, was a simple hand operated plunger.
The first electrical machine came out in the early 1900s and great improvements on it have resulted in today's completely automatic washer.

The advent of the automatic brought about end to the Blue Monday 's wash day for many women. Most of the women I know wash laundry almost everyday as I do. My late husband used to insisted that I had a phobia about washing laundry. He would accuse me of following him, and our son, around, just waiting for them to discard a garment so I could throw it into the washing machine.

I have to admit that anytime I see wearing apparel, lying on the floor, on furniture etc..., I do snatch up the garments and toss them in the washer. It may be true that I have a complex about washing clothes. A friend once remarked that my family was either the cleanest or the dirtiest one she had ever heard of considering the amount of time my washing machine is in operation.

As marvelous as the automatic washing machine is, I think the automatic clothes dryer ties with the air-conditioner as my favorite of modern appliances. One of the most aggravating chores for me was hanging laundry on a clothes line. The sun could be shining gloriously when I would hang my clothes out to dry and fifteen minutes later rain or snow would be falling. And in bad winter weather I was constantly struggling with wet laundry.

From the day I heard of the invention of the automatic clothes dryer I started a campaign to acquire one of those wonderful machines. For years, I brought the words, " clothes dryer" into as many conversations as I possibly could with my husband. And finally, years ago, that dream came true. And I have been washing and drying laundry like mad ever since, come rain, shine, sleet or snow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home