Friday, September 19, 2003

GOSSIP AND EMBARRASSMENT....

By Olivene Godfrey

Most of us have painful memories of "most embarrassing moments".
And while some of those moments can't seem to be avoided, there are some things we can learn from, and we can try not to let some awkward situations get us down.

It doesn't embarrass me any longer if I don't know how to pronounce a word. I just ask someone I know about it and this usually makes the person I ask, feel good, too.

I came across a word recently which is new to me, or I don't remember seeing it before. And this is strange, as the definition of the word describes me far too well. The word, "logorrhea" means abnormal talkativeness.

And because of this condition, I've had some embarrassing moments, not knowing when to keep my mouth shut, but I learned some lessons from those awkward situations.

For one thing, I learned that when you live in a small town, you never, but never, say anything critical about one native to another. Chances are you will be talking about Aunt Lulu, or cousin John or sister, Sue, or some other relative.

Long ago, in another part of the country, I made a critical remark about an individual. (This was in a small town.) "Do you know her," I asked. The reply which silenced me was, " Yes, she is my sister." WOW! what do you do then? I tried to make as graceful an exit as was possible under the circumstances. And, because of my remark a friendship with a lovely person never developed.

So, not only did I learn about small towns, I learned it's wise not to gossip in the first place. But, if you are going to anyway, be sure there aren't any relatives around. You could wind up with more pain than just an embarrassing moment.

More about embarrassing moments. I remember hearing about the girl who following a dinner date with a man she really wanted to impress, and disappointed that he hadn't kissed her goodnight, looked into her mirror, and to her horror, discovered that a piece of spinach was stuck to one of her front teeth. How do you top that one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home