Sunday, August 10, 2003

By Olivene Godfrey.

YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO FALL IN LOVE!

Love may make the world go around but it has lots of people going around in circles. And love is one subject that people never seem to tire of reading about, hearing about, singing about.

And despite what some young lovers may think, you’re never too old to fall in love. A survey in the U.S. a few years ago showed that some people, 100 and over, were involved in love affairs and courtships and maintained a lively interest in the opposite sex. This reminded me of my 99-year -old aunt who has a boyfriend. She had two husbands, and was widowed twice, and a few years ago she became romantically involved with her present boyfriend. She lived alone in an apartment complex until recently and her boyfriend ate supper with her every night. Now that she is in a nursing home, her boyfriend calls her every night before she goes to sleep. Now, that’s romantic!

Despite all the songs, movies and stories of unrequited love, studies of a cross-section of engaged couples showed that most people fall in love at the same time. That seems to prove that when you fall in love with someone, chances are that person is falling in love with you at the same time.

REGRETS?

When I was very young, and hadn’t lived long enough to have had many regrets about anything, I read about someone who said he regretted only what he hadn’t done. I thought that was a great philosophy at the time.

Now that I am older, I’ve changed my mind . In the first place, I can’t imagine a normal human being who has absolutely no regrets. I don’t have a great many regrets but I do have some and there are periods in my life I’d like to re-live and hope I would live them in a different way.

MOTHER”S CRAPE MYRTLE.

Following the death of my spry, pretty mother who died at age of 92 in the fall of 2000, my husband’s brother, Ray, and his wife, Joyce, gave me a check to buy a plant for our yard that would be in memory of my mother.

My son, Barry, lovingly planted a crape myrtle bush in memory of Mother that we had purchased and it thrived and bloomed from July to first sign of frost last year. But we hadn’t seen a single bloom this year and Barry and I were speculating about it and Barry said, “ Maybe we have done something to upset Grandma. She always was feisty, you know.”

We laughed about it and the next day there was a single bloom but there hasn’t been any blooms since then. We would like to hear from anyone who has advice for us so maybe we can correct the problem before next summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home