Wednesday, July 30, 2003

By Olivene Godfrey

CLOSE MENTAL LINK IN TWINS

Stories about identical are often amazing, but since I have identical twin sisters, I know such stories are often true. I also have twin cousins who seem to be able to recite a host of examples of their ESP powers at work.

Scientists tell us that identical twins, born to the same mother and of the same sex, are born from a single egg cell which separated them into two parts early in its development. And each of the parts became one of the twins.

When my twin sisters were born at our Chattanooga home in the 1930s, droves of people came from miles around to see the tiny identical baby girls. I was four at the time and remember my parents telling me that I had two little sisters instead of the one I had asked for before their birth. I was always very proud of the pretty babies and never felt neglected as I was given plenty of tender loving care as we grew up.

My cousin has said that as infants her twin boys seemed to have a mental link. One would say something and the other one would finish the sentence. I have observed the same thing in my twin sisters.

While most people couldn't tell my sisters apart, as far back as I can remember, I knew which twin was Joan and which was Jeanette. There was something different in the expressions on their faces that tipped me off as to which one I was seeing. And while they have many common interests they each have their own individual personalities. They both have always had fiery tempers, but Jeanette can be a spitfire while Joan is more subdued when they are angry.

Many times my twin sisters have had similar illnesses. And they knew before being told when each gave birth to their children though they lived miles apart. This mental link happens so often that over the years family members have said of the latest event, "Oh, it is the twin thing." Sometimes it is a trivial thing, such as both having highlight streaks put in their hair unaware the other one was doing the same thing.

Our twins have had many happy experiences but have also known great tragedy, such as each twin losing a 17-year-old child to death. And then Jeanette's husband had a brain aneurysm 18 years ago that left him disabled and she has been his caregiver over the years. Joan was caregiver to her husband a number of years as he suffered from Alzheimer's and died in 2000.

The twins are both grandmothers now and each have health problems, but the twin mental link is stile strong and still fascinating to me and others in the family.
Please Send Coments To olivene21@netscape.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home