Thursday, October 09, 2003

REMEMBERING NAMES....

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I once knew a woman who, upon entering a room of strangers, pleasantly and forthrightly introducing herself. And I observed
the reaction she received from the people at these gatherings.
They were drawn to her and generously responded in the same manner.

I suppose all of us could be taught to listen more attentively
to introductions. Each and everyone of us enjoys hearing our name spoken. And to practice using the new name as soon as possible helps us to remember the name and makes the new acquaintance happy.

I confess I am the last person on earth who should give advice on remembering names. My only excuse when I was younger was that the failing was because of my childhood existence. My family moved around a lot and while I kept memories of a few special people after awhile I stopped trying to remember anything about the place where I had last moved from.

Now that I am older I just blame my poor memory on my old age. This failure to remember names, even faces sometimes, has caused me much embarrassment over the years. A number of years ago while shopping in Chattanooga, TN I was approached by a woman whom I could not remember ever having seen before.” Olivene, " she exclaimed, "It's so good to see you. I haven't seen you in years." I'm sure I looked bewildered as I was bewildered. Who?
Who? Frantically I wracked my brain trying to recall the woman's face and name. Finally, she said, " You do remember me, don't you?" Foolishly, I said I did. I realize now I should have confessed my loss of memory. Then she reminded me of several school functions we had attended together as students of a
Chattanooga school.

I was going crazy all the way home trying to remember who that woman was. About a week later, as I was drifting off to sleep, I suddenly remembered who my mystery woman was. Now in my defense, it had been many years since I had seen the woman and her appearance had changed from a slip of a girl to a rather heavy set woman with gray hair. Still, as I recalled my memories of her as a classmate I could see the resemblance in her face of the woman I'd chatted with a few days before.

I guess everyone has such experiences. But, I doubt that everyone forgets the names of people whom they know well and see often as I frequently do and it is embarrassing when my mind goes blank when I start to introduce such people to another person.
I hope my friends are understanding and forgive me at such times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home