Wednesday, July 28, 2004

WHEELCHAIR MALL TOUR, PERFECT LUNCH, BARRY'S DELICIOUS TOMATOS, & PEAR TREE....

By Olivene Godfrey

This past Sunday, son, Barry, drove us to Chattanooga for a pleasant outing. The weather was hot, sunny and humid but we were comfortable with the car AC going full blast. Our destination was the huge mall, Hamilton Place, in Chattanooga.

Our first stop at the mall, shortly before noon, was the Piccadilly cafeteria which we love and our lunch can only be described as "perfection." Afterward, we checked out a wheel chair in the mall and with Barry pushing me in the wheelchair, he gave me a whirlwind tour of the mall. I had never been able to walk, because of my breathing problems, all over the mall so I saw part of it for the first time. Barry shops often at the mall and was a perfect guide, pointing out shops and stores that he thought would interest me. The AC in the mall felt delightful.

We had eaten early, before the Sunday crowd of shoppers had arrived. Barry is a fast walker and we moved along at a speedy clip. We made a brief stop at Sear's big store where I purchased some kitchen hand towels that were on sale.

Later, when we were home safe and sound, I watched the 6 P.M. Chattanooga TV newscast and I thought of our guardian angels looking after us. We had missed violent weather that had struck all around us and also a multi-car-truck crash that stalled traffic on the expressway for two hours.

I wrote last spring about Barry planting two tomato plants in a large container and was growing them on the patio. The plant has castor wheels on the saucer and Barry can move in under the eaves the house when violent weather is forecast. His tomatoes are getting ripe now and are delicious. Since we have had so much rain this summer, Barry says the tomatoes haven't got enough sunshine so they aren't as large as ones grown in past years but they have a sharp, tangy taste that I love and I am eating a lot of sandwiches, such as BLT, with slices of the tomatoes and as a side dish for dinner. The plants are about seven feet tall and have outgrown the cage Barry had put on the plants. He says next year, he will prune the plants so they won't grow so high. He likes the patio planting so well that he plans to grow squash and okra in patio pots next year.

When we moved into our house 26 years ago, there was a tiny pear tree in the yard. My late husband, Ralph, would cover the tree with a garbage plastic bag before an expected frost. Now the tree is gigantic and its branches this year are loaded with pears. Trouble is, the pears are only good for eating raw as they do not make good preserves as I found out when they came out like a sauce after cooking. I let my late mother and my neighbor try cooking the pears and they had the same results I did. So, we can't possibly eat all of the pears as delicious as they are so we will be giving away a lot. The ones that fall on the ground are eaten by the deer that come through our yard often, and other wild animals.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home