Tuesday, June 21, 2005

THIS & THAT FROM MY MEMO PAD

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Today is the first day of summer and the temperature outside here was 57 degrees when we got up this morning. It is supposed to get up into the 80s today and warmer rest of week. But, so far we have had very little of extremely hot weather this year.
Late yesterday afternoon we had a humdinger of a storm. The lightning flashed, thunder boomed and torrential rain came down which we needed here. After the rain, the greenery outside of the house was fresh and so pretty.

I'm hoping for good weather this weekend as Barry is planning to take me to the mall in Dalton to get a much needed haircut and to buy a "sensible pair of shoes." I am afraid that pretty high heels and other dressy shoes are things of the past for me now. Since I was wearing a dressy pair of shoes when I fell April 10 and injured my shoulder and arm, Barry has been trying to get me to buy a pair of shoes that are safer. I cleaned out my shoe rack and so did Barry his closet and he took the shoes to the Salvation Army thrift store recently.

I have also decided to give up driving. I couldn't drive now anyway with my arm not completely strong yet but I had already decided that it wasn't safe for me to drive anymore. I am not as alert as I need to be when driving and I don't want to continue until I have a bad accident. It doesn't bother me now and actually, I feel relieved, knowing I don't have to fight traffic, etc...., anymore. I never did like to drive unless I had a destination. Barry loves to drive and doesn't think anything about driving everywhere he wants to go. That was how my late husband, Ralph, felt about driving and when he had give it up, he lost interest in life.

Last Saturday morning, for the first time since I had my accident, I went shopping with Barry to Ingle's big grocery store in Chatsworth, GA. I enjoyed the trip and was tired when we got home but I need to get out more now. I bought a delicious slice of chilled, sweet watermelon and a carton of orange sherbet, the two things I always do first of summer.
The watermelon upset my gut but I guess I will buy more anyway.

I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday and got a good report about my shoulder and arm. I will have four more weeks of therapy and then hope my arm will be up to par. I still can't wear my pullover clothing garments and will work on that in upcoming therapy sessions. I also got some more good news. According to the scales in the doctor's office, I have lost a total of 30 pounds since last September. I still want to lose ten more pounds and then should be a perfect weight for my height.


I fell again a week or so ago but my injuries weren't serious. I discussed the fallings with my doctor and she decided to reduce the dosages of a couple of my prescription medicines that can cause drowsiness. She said, and I have read, that older people need smaller dosages of some medications. i hope that solves the problem of frequent falls for me.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home