Monday, May 30, 2005

A RETURN TO ACCIDENT SITE & NOTES FROM MEMO PAD

By OLIVENE GODFREY

It's been said that if you fall off of a horse, you should get back on it soon to avoid a phobia about it. As you may remember, I fell on April 10 from an elevated sidewalk onto the street pavement below, resulting in shoulder and arm injuries. On that day, son Barry and I had planned to eat lunch at a popular cafeteria, the Village, in downtown Chatsworth, GA. Their restaurant is located on the elevated sidewalk near my accident site. This past Sunday, I decided to return to the site as I have enough phobias without adding another to my list.

This time Barry parked the car in a parking place that is level with the elevated sidewalk, on a side street, and we walked to the cafeteria, so I didn't have to walk up any steps. I made it fine and as usual enjoyed the meal at the Village and don't think I will get a phobia about going there again.

This is being written early on Memorial Day and it is dark and rainy outside with such weather forecast for rest of the week. We have had a cool spring which makes it hard for my patio plants and Barry's tomato plant to get as much sun as they need this time of year. But, despite the weather, Barry's tomato plant is thriving and he already has a cage around it. He has it on a platform with wheels which he can roll into the garage in bad weather. I am looking forward to eating the tomatoes later in the summer.

I suspect that my sling for my right arm has become a security blanket for me since I broke my shoulder and arm. I feel uneasy when I don't wear it as I fear someone bumping in to my arm or just touching it. The doctor says I need to take it off some which I am doing but Barry is threatening to hide it if I don't go without it more.

I am beginning to do things I hadn't been able to do with m right hand, simple things like flossing my teeth. I have taken Aleve for my pain and was pleasantly surprised that it has helped relieve the arthritis pain in my legs.

The last of the week was busy here as the Trane dealer crew installed our new heat pump and the physical therapist was coming to the house, too. Barry says it is amazing that on Memorial Day we are running the heat which works really well. We had planned a cookout but will probably have to cook inside which is easy to do with our huge fireplace and small grill which will give us charcoal flavor to our steaks late today.

Barry and I have colds which is my first one in about two years and we haven't felt very chipper this weekend. I hope our colds will not last long.

As soon as I am able to have an eye exam, I have got to have my eyes checked by my eye doctor in Dalton. I had worn bifocals for several years and the frames of the glasses were broken when I fell and I have done without them since then. One reason I have waited as last year the doctor said I had tiny cataracts on my eyes and might need surgery. He uses a laser which I have heard makes the surgery easier for the patient,

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home