Monday, June 13, 2005

GOODBYE TO ARM SLING & HELLO AGAIN TO OLD PANTS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Ten days ago, I removed my arm sling that had been my companion since April 10 when I fell and dislocated my shoulder and broke my arm. The sling had made my arm feel better and I was reluctant to give it up. But, as my right shoulder and arm began to feel stronger, I realized I didn't need the sling any longer so late one afternoon, I removed it and haven't had it on since and feel better without it as it was confining and also beginning to make me feel too warm these hot summer days. I was grateful to have had the sling but now it's time to move on. I have five more weeks therapy scheduled and hope I will be back to normal at the end of that period. I go back to my doctor June 20 for a checkup and x-rays and hope I get a good report.

Yesterday (Sunday), son, Barry and I were getting ready to go to the Village cafeteria in town for an early lunch when I had a delightful surprise. I was slender for most of my life and then a number of years ago, I began to gain weight for no apparent reason. This time last year, I felt fat and my face was puffy, and I had to buy some large long pants. I have a closet of pants in various sizes. Yesterday, when I put on my white pants in the larger size, they fell off of me! I dashed to the closet and got out a pair of white pants in a smaller size and they fit perfectly which thrilled me.

I have been on my diet since September 4th, 2004 and while I have lost only 25 pounds, I have lost in inches and am slowly losing more weight. Barry says my face has slimmed down and that I look more like the old me. I need to lose at least ten more pounds and lose more inches so I can get into a smaller pair of pants.

While on the subject of diets, I think it gives one a lift to eat a small portion of a forbidden food now and then. Last year, Barry gave me a small crock pot that cooks just enough for two or three people. I had been buying good cuts of beef roasts, such as sirloin tips, when it was on sale. Barry has been buying groceries since I had my accident. And recently he bought a chuck roast. I told him it would probably be tough but cooked it in crock pot anyway. It had a lot of marbled fat so I thought it might have a good flavor anyway but would play havoc with our cholesterol. To our surprise, it was tender after cooking 12 hours in the crock pot and tasted delicious. This past weekend Barry bought groceries and came home with a large chuck roast. Using the electric knife, he cut it into three small roasts and I am cooking one right now in the crock pot. So, maybe if we only eat it occasionally, it won’t hurt us and gives us a lift as we enjoy the roast for supper.


See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home