Monday, July 04, 2005

REMEMBERING MY MOTHER’S BIRTHDAY & THINKING OF HOMEGROWN TOMATOES

By OLIVENE GODFREY

As I write this, we are winding down from our long July 4th weekend and will cook steaks on the charcoal grill on the patio later today. We have eaten delicious food, both at home and eating out, shopped a little, rested some, and did some chores here at the house. This morning, son Barry, who has been in and out all weekend, cleaned the carpet in the den and in my office before rushing off to the huge mall in Chattanooga to "get in some walking" and will probably shop a little.

While we have enjoyed the holiday, we still live with a sadness on this day. My mother's birthday was July 4th and for many years we gave her a cookout-party on the 4th with a cake and gifts here at the house. She looked forward to the party and we all had a great time.

On her 92nd birthday, she looked peaked and tired. And a couple of months later, she passed away, leaving a void in all of our lives. And the date will never be the same again for us.

--------------------------

Barry's patio tomato plant is huge and dark green and healthy and loaded with little green tomatoes. My mouth waters when I look at them, thinking of the day when they will be large, red and juicy tomatoes. I know people who eat homegrown tomatoes like they are apples and eat so many they get skin rashes. I don't do that but I love them in BLT sandwiches, salads, on beef burgers and other sandwiches and just sliced as a vegetable with a meal. My late husband, Ralph, grew big, delicious tomatoes and he loved to eat a large slice between two slices of bread covered with mayonnaise. He often started his tomatoes from seeds, planting the seeds in small paper cups and transferring them to the garden spot.

Barry has all of my patio plants looking good and they are just exploding this year with growth. Since my accident in April, I haven't been able to work with the plants and he took over and has proven once again that he has a green thumb like his dad. I am able to keep the plants alive but Barry, like his dad, just has a special touch with plants and they thrive under his care.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home