Tuesday, February 09, 2016

ANOTHER FDR?

February 9, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

For several years I've prayed that the good Lord would send the United States another Franklin D. Roosevelt.  Now, from what I've been hearing, Bernie Sanders may be that man.

Reading in the newspaper the political news has sent me back to the day when I saw FDR in person in Chattanooga.  His caravan included the great man in an open limousine with secret service men running along side the limousine.  My mother had driven me and my sisters to an isolated spot on Missionary Ridge.

The limousine slowed down as they approached our spot.  While my mother and sisters and I stood on the side of the road FDR flashed us his famous smile and waved at us.  I think that ranks with one of the most vivid memories of my childhood.

I also remember when FDR passed away.  Radio stations played only chamber music for about a week as the nation mourned the passing of such a great man.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home