Friday, January 23, 2015

THE SAINT IN MY FAMILY

January 23, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

If ever there was a saint on earth, my Aunt Eula was one.  She was born hearing impaired and never wore hearing aides which were not very sophisticated until she was an elderly woman.  She never married but she loved all the grandchildren like they were her own.  She was a large woman and had a wonderful lap for small children to rest on.  She was also a fantastic cook.  She made the best chocolate fudge and divinity I ever ate.  Her biscuits would melt in your mouth, and her sausage balls defy description.

When I was little, Aunt Eula and her younger sister, Aunt Esther, lived with my grandparents in a farm house on their farm in Middle Tennessee.  Her other siblings, including my daddy, were all married and had families.

My parents lived with my sisters and me in Chattanooga.  Our family would visit the farm about once a month.  When I was seven or eight years old, I would spend a couple of weeks in the summer at the farm.  I can still remember the fresh strawberries with real cream that I'd eat for breakfast at the farm.

Aunt Eula and I had a daily routine.  After the mid-day meal, she would heat rain water that had been caught in large barrels in the wood stove reservoir for my bath.  She would place a large wash tub in the smoke house where hams hung from the ceiling and the floor was thick with salt.  That was where I took my bath.  When I had bathed and dressed, Aunt Eula would proceed to bath, dress and comb her long hair into a pompadour in front with a bun in the back.

We would then walk to the post office which was held in a large general store.  After Aunt Eula had collected the family's mail, she would let me choose a little bag of candy from the display case.  Then, we would walk back home and rest until supper time.

I can remember feeling so sorry for Aunt Eula because she was "hard of hearing".  I hoped that would never happen to me.  But, it did!  In 2010 I started wearing hearing aides.  Recently, I've had more difficulty hearing voices even with my aides.  I have an appointment next week to visit my audiologist to try to determine what I need to do now.  I can't find words to describe my emotions when I'm straining to hear voices.

Please say a prayer for me when my hearing will be tested and they determine what, if anything, can be done for my hearing.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home