Monday, January 05, 2015

NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

January 5, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

I rarely make New Year resolutions.  But, I made one this year that's very important for me to keep.

I have arthritis in my knees and the pain is often severe.  I have an appointment with my primary care doctor in about a week to have shots in my knees.  The doctor told me that after the shots that I'll need to walk a lot so that the medicine will go where it is needed and to help relieve the pain.

For several weeks, I've been walking with my Rollator walker from my sitting room in my bedroom to the dining room for my meals.  I walk down the long hallway that goes from one end of the house to the other.

My son, Barry and I live in the country and don't have sidewalks, and our road is too heavily traveled to walk on.  I plan to walk down the long hall several times a day.

I also need exercise to help me lose weight.  I have a large closet full of clothes I can no longer wear.  Tam and I agree that I don't over eat, so the problem seems to be inactivity.  Perhaps by spring, I will be slim again.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

As I write this, the weather is nice and sunny, with temperatures in the 60's.  According to the weather forecast severe cold weather is moving in.  Saturday night the weather was turbulent with strong winds and rain.

I keep thinking of spring.  When we moved to our house in 1978, there was no shrubbery and few trees.  Since then, the yard has been landscaped.  My late husband planted small trees that are now gigantic and beautiful.  He planted about a dozen jonquils around the rock patio wall.  They poke up through the soil usually in February.  The past few years, the jonquils have been large but didn't bloom.  Barry has put dry fertilizer on them and we hope they'll bloom this year.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home