Monday, December 01, 2014

THANKSGIVING, NEWSPAPER ARTICLE & CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

December 1, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

I hope each one of you had a great Thanksgiving holiday.  Barry and I had a quiet day, and Barry cooked a delicious turkey dinner for just the two of us this year.  I was proud of him and enjoyed the dinner.

I hope all of you who live in the Dalton, Georgia Daily Citizen area read the wonderful article about myself that a talented young woman wrote.  Her name is Tanner Blackton and I predict a bright future for her.

As a result of the article, my blog is receiving a lot of "hits" which I appreciate and enjoy reading the comments.  One comment I really appreciated was from a person who has been having a writing block as I did following the death of my husband.  He said that after reading the article he was again "inspired" to write.  I wish him much success with his writing.

I read an interesting article in the American Profile magazine about the origin of chocolate chip cookies which 53% of Americans claim is their favorite.  The original Toll House Cookies didn't exist until the 1930's when Ruth Graves Wakefield, the owner of the Toll House Inn, in Whitman, Mass., created the tasty morsels by accident.  She chopped up a Nestle chocolate bar and stirred it into a batch of cookies, expecting the chocolate bits to melt, lava like, in the oven, but the chocolate softened and remained semi-solid instead.  The rest is history.  This year Nestle celebrates its 75th anniversary of the Toll House morsel.

I'm a fan of Ingle's supermarket's bakery chocolate chip cookies.  When the cookies are baked to perfection, they are a real treat.  Sometimes the baker leaves the cookies in the oven a tad too long, and they are too hard.  Even those are still tasty when placed in the microwave a few seconds.  Barry just baked a few frozen Nestle Toll House cookies.  They are delicious, and Ingle's cookies are similar.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

4 Comments:

Blogger bobbi butler said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger bobbi butler said...

Olivene, this is Bobbi Butler!!! I have been wanting to find you and catch up, and low and behold I saw this article on you.
So glad you are still writing. We spent many a night at the former creative arts guild working with each other to improve our skills. Then we published the magazine with our writings in it.
I want to write and you and your story and encouraging. I lost my adult son Bill, who was 43 this summer. I have a block on everything, especially writing.
I took a memoir writing class in chattanooga last year and really enjoyed it.
Hope we can stay in touch and maybe I could come see you.!!!

December 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger bobbi butler said...

Olivene, this is Bobbi Butler!!! I have been wanting to find you and catch up, and low and behold I saw this article on you.
So glad you are still writing. We spent many a night at the former creative arts guild working with each other to improve our skills. Then we published the magazine with our writings in it.
I want to write, you and your story or encouraging. I lost my adult son Bill, who was 43 this summer. I have a block on everything, especially writing.
I took a memoir writing class in Chattanooga last year and really enjoyed it.
Hope we can stay in touch and maybe I could come see you.!!!

December 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger bobbi butler said...

my comments appeared to have posted my edited and unedited version, sorry about bad typing, but got carried away!

December 4, 2014 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home