Thursday, September 25, 2014

MEMORIES OF MY SISTER, JEANETTE

September 25, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

Sometimes just a whiff of memory can take you back to another time and place.  That happened to me this morning, when out of the blue I had a mental image of my sister, Jeanette, when she and her twin, Joan, were about four years old.  It was a hot summer day and the twins were dressed in sun suits and were playing in the yard of our home located in a Chattanooga, Tennessee suburb, which had once been farm land.

Being a book worm, I was sitting under a tree in the yard, reading a book. The book may have been "Little Women" which I loved and often re-read.

I heard a car speeding on our chirt road. Then a loud thud and I rushed to the front yard.  We had a succession of small dogs, all named "Daisy". This Daisy had been struck down on the street by the speeding car that hadn't even slowed down.

Jeanette started screaming and using every "dirty word" in her limited vocabulary.  She was sobbing and yelling at the "mean man", he had killed Daisy. Jeanette always loved dogs and cats, and to this day still does. We often tell her, she should have been a veterinarian.  It was a Saturday and daddy was home and he placed the remains of Daisy in a box and buried her in an area at the rear of the house. Later in the day, we had a funeral for Daisy.

Back to the present. Barry and I plan to get our flu shots this weekend at Walgreen's.  I also have a list of items to bring that I've needed for awhile. I pray that I'll have a chipper day.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home