Monday, August 11, 2014

OUR FIRST REFRIGERATOR

August 11, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

When I was a child in the 1930's, my folks bought a Frigidaire refrigerator.  It was small and had a little freezer that held two or three ice cube trays.  My parents used the same refrigerator until after I married in 1947.

Our garage refrigerator is a Frigidaire and when I see it, I remember the one I grew up with.  In the summer months my mother would make an ice cream mix and freeze it in the ice cube trays.  She would serve the frozen ice cream cubes with a dollop of whipped cream for dessert.

We only had iced tea in the summer months (Barry and I have iced tea year round).  In cold weather my mother would serve our meals with a glass of milk (sometimes she and my daddy would drink coffee which they loved).

My mother used to say she wished we were rich and could have so much milk we could give some away.  She bought quarts of milk in glass bottles and dairy products from the milk man who delivered to the door.

I used to love to drink milk.  My daddy had a stomach ulcer and his doctor told him to drink milk and eat saltine crackers.  I would join him and loved the milk and crackers so well, I still drank milk with crackers after I married.

I have two medical appointments this week.  The first is a dental appointment.  Then, I have an appointment on Thursday in Calhoun, a 45 mile drive from our house to see my blood doctor.  I am praying that I'll be eligible to have a much needed booster shot.  Then, next week, I see my primary care doctor.  So, I'll be busy and hope I have enough energy to keep the appointments.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home