Wednesday, August 06, 2014

REFLECTIONS OF TUNNEL HILL SCHOOL DAYS

August 6, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

Since I've grown old, my mind often drifts back to my early years.  Each August as students and their parents prepare for a new school year, I recall the two years I attended a school in what was then, a tiny Georgia town named Tunnel Hill.  The name of the town comes from the historic tunnel where the train passed through, throwing off a bag of  mail twice a day.  My daddy was a pastor at the local Methodist Church.  This was in the early 1940's.  My school friends families were cotton farmers.  School started early, so the students could be dismissed 6 weeks in the fall to help pick the cotton.  Since my sisters and I didn't have cotton to pick, we had a 6 week vacation.  I rode my bicycle all over the small community.  I made several good friends in those years at Tunnel Hill.

I finally learned to work my new Rollator's hand brakes.  So, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.  Sometimes it just takes a while.

I haven't seen Tam in 4 days and am looking forward to seeing her this morning (Wednesday).  She took some time off to have an outing with her two beautiful granddaughters before their school classes began.

Our friend, Genevelyn, stayed with me a few hours Monday and Tuesday.  She helped me a lot and I enjoyed talking to her.  Since she gets around a lot, she always has news to share with me.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home