Monday, November 17, 2014

THOUGHTS ON DEATH

November 17, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

A few nights ago, I had a freakish accident involving a portable toilet I keep near my bed at night.  I won't go into details, but I was left with a few bruises and red spots on several parts of my body.  I thought, is this the end?

For years I have thought no matter how careful a person may be, when it's time for you to leave, something will take you to another place.

Every time I have an accident or illness, I fear that my time has come.  No matter how old I am, I'm not ready yet to leave my family and friends.  I discussed this with son, Barry, and he said matter of factly, "you can't live forever."  But, I guess I want to.

I discussed this subject with my 92 year old mother shortly before she died, and she believed as I do.  She was a Christian and believed in a very real heaven and hell, and she wanted to go to heaven, but she said she wasn't ready to leave her family and friends.  She felt, as I do, that there are so many things we want to do, here on earth.

I will continue to live a healthy lifestyle and not take any risky chances.  I pray my time on earth will bring me several more good years.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the article in today's Daily Citizen and found your blog. Your story is reigniting the writing bug in me. I have written a few things but only managed to publish a book on my mother's ancestors. I was starting to think that I just wasn't going to get the writing "urge" again. But, your story has inspired me. And I am enjoying your blogs. Thank you for sharing. Mark Burford.

November 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home