Thursday, December 11, 2014

87 BIRTHDAYS!!

December 11, 2014



By Olivene Godfrey

I had a great birthday December 10th.  It doesn't seem possible I'm 87 years old!  I received a stack of birthday cards in the mail and appreciate each and every one.  Barry bought me two pairs of sweat pants (he had given me sweat tops last year when they were on sale).  He also took my treasured, very old charm bracelet to his shop and cleaned the silver and the many charms.  I'm going to start wearing it again.  There are charms that represent my newspaper days (tiny typewriter, telephone, steno pad, etc.) and also charms with dates of importance in my life.  Tam bought me some special shampoo from the beauty salon and my favorite body lotion and made me a special dessert.  She also surprised me with a tiny Christmas tree for my sitting room/bedroom.  While I was eating lunch in the dining room, she put the tree up and decorated it, to my delight when I returned to my room.

Once again on my birthday, I missed the phone call I got every year from my daddy until his untimely death at the age of 65 from a massive heart attack.  He would tell me about the cold, crisp December night when I was born in a Methodist parsonage.  The old doctor who came to the house to help my mother sent daddy outside to chop wood.  He said he looked up at the sky and saw a shooting star.  In the house, my mother had a breach birth and one of my tiny arms was broken.  The doctor put my arm in a sling and it healed well.

When I was a year old, we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee and from there to Tunnel Hill, Georgia and then to Calhoun, Georgia and back to Dalton, Georgia.  My husband, Ralph and I were married there and lived there ten years before moving to Florida where our son, Barry was born.  When Barry was two years old, we returned to Georgia, settling in Murray County, Georgia when Barry was three.  We've lived in our beloved house since 1978.  I pray I can be here in my bed at our home when my time is up.  I fully intend to live to be 100, good Lord willing.  I also pray that Barry and Tam will still be with me.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home