Monday, May 12, 2014

THE 1920's FLAPPERS AND "STEP-INS"

May 12, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

I had a good Mother's day quietly at home.  Barry gave me a pretty geranium plant.  Actually, every day Barry observes Mother's day by all he does for me.  I am fortunate to have him for a son.

A whiff of memory can bring back a time of long ago.  That happened to me this week when out of the blue, a word popped up in my mind.  The word was "step-ins".  If you remember "step-ins," you aren't a "spring chicken."

I asked Barry to do some research on "step-ins" on the internet.  He came up with some interesting info.  In the 1920's, as hemlines of women's dresses rose, women began to wear stockings to cover the exposed legs.  Bloomers also became much shorter.  The shorter bloomers became looser and less supportive as the boyish flapper look came into fashion.  By the end of the decade, they came known as "step-ins," very much like modern panties with wider legs.  They were worn for the increased flexibility they afforded.  The increased sexual awareness of the flapper also made underwear sexier than ever before.  It was the flappers who ushered in the era of lingerie.

This week, I've enjoyed a bouquet of red roses from our bush.  Also, Tam brought me a beautiful bouquet of white peonies that came from her yard for Mother's day.

This past Saturday night, I watched the music programs on RFD TV.  On the Presley family's show, a male vocalist sang my favorite hymn, "In The Garden."  It was so beautiful I almost cried.  A while back I asked our friend, Kym, who has a beautiful voice, to sing "In The Garden" at my funeral.  She agreed.  I hope I'll be able to hear her.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home