Wednesday, April 09, 2014

MY ADDICTIONS

April 9, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

Long ago, I started thinking that I had an addiction to certain foods.  I crave the food or drink like a starving person.  For instance, the current food I've been craving is Lance's toast cheese crackers with peanut butter.  A few days ago, I nearly made myself sick gorging on a package of the crackers.  I am trying to ration myself and eat only one cracker each day.

It all goes back to when I was four years old.  My twin sisters were babies and that kept my mother busy.  So, daddy gave me plenty of tender, loving care.  Some nights I would awake in the night and call out to him.  I would tell him I wanted a bowl of cornbread crumbs in buttermilk.  He would take me to the kitchen.  While I sat at the table he would get the cornbread mother had left over from supper and pour cold buttermilk over the crumbs.  I savored each bite, and then when I was back in bed, slept soundly until time to rise.

When I was a small child, my parents took us kids to an all day church service, and food and drinks were served.  Cold drinks were bought for the church's mission work.  During each break, I would intrude on daddy's conversations with church members to ask for a nickle to buy an orange crush.  I did that 10 times throughout the day and that night I was awake and nauseated.  My parents were concerned so I confessed to my actions.  That curbed my addiction to orange crush.

Barry went through a period when he seemed to gorge on mayfields ice cream sandwiches.  He has strong will power and gave up the ice cream sandwiches when he started gaining weight.

Later, as a young adult, I became addicted to smoking cigarettes.  When I decided to quit the habit, I quit cold turkey and it's been almost 15 years since I've smoked.  And, I hate cigarette smoke and our house is smoke free.

So, I can control my addictions when they harm my health.  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home