Thursday, May 08, 2014

SCARY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES AND MORE

May 8, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

During a recent phone call to my sister, Jeanette who lives in Dalton, we recalled some of our childhood memories.

For instant, Jeanette said she'd never forget when we were kids and daddy would insist that his visiting relatives climb the open observation tower located on Missionary Ridge.  I don't remember the location, but it was scary.  I remember once being next to my elderly grandmother and I was terrified she would fall.  Jeanette says now that climbing those towers was the scariest times of her life and she couldn't understand why our parents made us do it.  She says to this day she's scared of heights.

Years later, when I was working for the newspaper, I climbed the observation tower on Fort Mountain with a photographer.  At the top was a small cabin where the forestry service kept a look-out for forest fires.  A picture of me interviewing the look-out man appeared in several newspapers.  What I would do for a good story in those days!

This week the home health occupational therapist visited me.  She left me a squeeze ball and some small balls for me to practice picking up.  She'll bring more stuff on her next visit.  She will also try to help me with my handwriting, which is awful.  To sum it up, she is going to try to help me use my arthritic fingers again.

I had an email from my English friend, Annie.  She said spring is in England, too, with everything green.  She added that she lives in a beautiful part of the country.  The pictures she posted on Facebook look as if they were made here in our North Georgia country.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home